Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Update June 2017

It's been almost a year since I posted. I have been busy with some new ideas for stories and working on an idea of how to get published.

Back in 2011 I purchased a Kobo e-reader and have read a lot of books on it. I love reading on the Kobo as you can change the book you're reading to another one if you feel like reading something different. I currently have over 200 books on my Kobo and have read about 80 of them.

I decided earlier this year (2017) that I would work on some of the older stories and prepare them to be self published as an e-book. An unconventional idea of getting published, but I feel like it's the way for me to go. It will be an experiment but it's something that I feel like I should pursue. It feels right.

But first, I'd like to recap what I have accomplished in my writing and with Terry. In late 2016 I completed #86 Training For Trouble. After completing this story, I decided to give Terry and his friends a little break and revive another series that I have been planning for years.

The Clayton Boys are three brothers who live with their parents on Storm Island off the coast of British Columbia. Their parents are research scientists who work for the government. The first story in the series, Trail Of Terror was completed during NaNoWriMo 2016 along with Training For Trouble.

In early 2017 I started on Terry Macdonald #87 The Desert Phantom, but I couldn't get into the story so I have about a chapter written and have since abandoned the story(for now).

Then I started thinking about publishing the stories as e-books. I decided to revise Disappearing Act once again as it still remains one of my favourites of the early books. The only problem is that is it only about 12,000 words and the stories need to be at least 30,000 words. So I am currently working on revising and lengthening this story (its currently around 20,000 words) for eventual publication with more of the older stories to follow.

I don't have a timetable but would like to have the wheels in motion to publish by the end of the summer of 2017.

One major change--and I've thought long and hard about this--is changing Terry's first name. I like Terry as a name and back in 1979 it seemed like a cool name. But this is 2017 and I need to update my main character's image. While Terry is not a bad name, it doesn't really fit my character's personality any longer.

So I've made the decision to change his name to Justin Macdonald. Only the other day I realized that his first name is the name of the current Prime Minister of Canada, and his last name is that of the first prime minister of Canada. So I have a good feeling about the change. A very Canadian choice.
Obviously his cousin Justin, who I introduced in The Vanishing Game will have to change. Justin is now Alex. And Terry is now Justin.

So that's the update for now. Hopefully I will post more often. I know that so many of you are waiting with bated breath for my next entry so I will be kind and not keep you in suspense.

You're welcome

J.T. Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment